About Us | History
Mr. PSTS ThiraviaratnamAn Inspiring Visionary
Stepping in to satisfy that need, Shri. Thiraviaratnam launched the PSTS Shipping Agency, way back in 1940. His clients at the time were 3 liners Mohammedi Steamship Co. Ltd., Apeejay Lines and Gill Amin & Co. Ltd. True to his credo of 'Growth by Matching and Exceeding Customer Needs', he went beyond leading his Company, to lead a delegation of the Tuticorin Port Development Council to New Delhi, to meet the then Prime Minister of India Pandit Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1958. This meeting paved the way for Tuticorin to be recognised as 'Tuticorin Major Port'.
A man committed to translating his commitment to satisfying customers' needs, Shri Thiraviaratnam was keenly involved in securing the Outer Harbour Project for Tuticorin, in order to accommodate the ultra large ships till he breathed his last on 17th June 2007.
Milestones @PSTS 75
- Shri PSTS Thiraviaratnam as a secretary of Tuticorin Harbour Development Council, along with the delegates met Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and requested for a deep water port on 2nd April 1958
- Agents for the very first vessel MV Chennai Ookkam, that berthed at new Port of Tuticorin. Mr.PSTS Thiraviaratnam tied the mooring rope around the bollard signifying the berthing in 1975
- Obtained license to provide Stevedoring service in the Port of Chennai in January 1989
- The Vikasa School an ICSE Board School was started under PSTS Foundation in 1995
- PSTS Heavy Equipment Ltd became a public limited company in Sept 1996
- A joint venture between PSTS and Reliance Logistics to promote FTL transportation under the name Relogistics commenced in July 2002
- Shri PSTS Thiraviaratnam was named the "Father of Tuticorin Port" by the then Chairman, Tuticorin Port Trust and was felicitated by the Union Minister of Shipping & Surface Transport-Mr.TR Baalu in Dec.2006
- Got ISO 9001-2008 Certification by TUV-SUD America Inc., in June 2008
- Started the entire Port Management of stevedoring and shore handling operations at Karaikal Port since July 2009
- Handled one million tons of cargo in just 30 days across the Ports of Chennai, Tuticorin and Karaikal in March 2012
- Deployed two nos of 120 tons Liebherr Harbour Mobile Crane in VOC Port, Tuticorin under PPP Scheme along withM/S IMC Ltd in Mar 2013
- Became the first Stevedore to handle non-containerized clean cargo in Kattupalli Port in July 2013
- Handled 28 vessels in a single month with diverse cargo across the Ports of Chennai, Kattupalli, Karaikal and Tuticorin and broke the earlier record -the highest in the history of PSTS in Nov 2015
Stevedore of the Year Award 2015
Stevedore of the Year Award 2013
EXIM Service Award 2013
Business Gaurav SME Awards 2012
Know more about the PSTS group and its activities.
Check out our brochure now> DOWNLOAD